Context and description
IMT Atlantique  is a graduate (“Grande Ecole”) engineering school in digital, environmental science and energy located near Brest in Brittany on France’s Atlantic coast.
The Optics Department of IMT Atlantique currently has a position vacant for an internship for the development of 4D printed flexible electronic circuit radio-frequency devices. Due to the processing of conductive tracks onto planar surfaces such devices are traditionally rigid and planar. Our approach of fabrication enables the realization of 3-D shapes for a discrete integration depending on the applicative context. Moreover, the additive fabrication of electrical layers will enable to produce less waste. The successful candidate will contribute to the study, design and fabrication of flexible electronic layers, onto 3D printed shape memory polymeric materials. The multi-disciplinary internship aims to take advantage of the possibilities of both the Arago platform (IMT Atlantique) , the micro-wave department (IMT Atlantique) and the Center for Materials & Processes (IMT Nord Europe)  to design and realize radio-frequency emitting tracks by polymer extrusion 3D printing, inkjet printing and serigraphy. In the future, the techniques developed in this internship could be used to realize 3D electronic circuits for easy integration in smart contact lens.
To fulfil the tasks assigned by IMT Atlantique in this project, the selected student’s tasks will include:
• Shaping and characterization of material properties,
• Polymer extrusion 3D printing, inkjet printing, serigraphy and electrodeposition of conductive tracks,
• Characterization of shape recovery after deposition of conductive tracks,
• Characterization of radio-frequency devices,
• Participation in progress meetings, report writing, …,
• Dissemination of the scientific results (reports and publications).
The candidate should have a strong theoretical and practical background in polymeric materials and/or nano/micro-technologies and will be expected to contribute with his/her own innovative ideas to develop new concepts and devices for the targeted applications. The work will be performed within the optics department (IMT Atlantique, Brest) with a mission of 1 month in the facilities of IMT Nord Europe (Douai), to learn about the 3D printing of shape memory polymers.
• Master or engineering school student with a polymeric materials background and/or nano/micro-technologies and/or electronic background,
• Cleanroom and photo-lithography experience,
• Taste and aptitude for laboratory experimentation (fabrication) and practical applications,
• Ability to work and write scientific reports,
• Knowledge of French is an advantage but not required initially,
• Knowledge of English (written).
Start date: February - July 2023
Please send candidature to: Dr. Alexandre Khaldi firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Sebastien Charlon: email@example.com
Websites:  https://www.imt-atlantique.fr/fr