Télécom Paris is one of the top four engineering schools in France for training general engineers. Recognized for its close ties with businesses, this public graduate school ensures excellent employment prospects in all industries and is considered the number-one engineering school for digital technology. With its top-level innovative teaching, Télécom Paris is at the center of a unique innovation ecosystem, drawing on the interaction and cross-disciplinary nature of the school’s academic programs, interdisciplinary research, two business incubators and its campuses (Paris and Sophia Antipolis – EURECOM). Its two laboratories, LTCI on digital sciences, and I3 on social sciences applied to innovation (joint research unit with CNRS), have both been accredited by HCERES as outstanding units for their international reputation and exceptional number of initiatives supporting the socioeconomic world and industry, as well as for their great contribution to teaching.
A founding member of Institut Polytechnique de Paris and an IMT (Institut Mines-Télécom) school, Télécom Paris is positioned as the college for digital innovation on the Paris-Saclay Campus.
The SID (Sociology, Information & communication, Design) team, at Télécom Paris works on the construction of digital tools, from their design to their diffusion and adoption in all the fields of society. Its researchers contribute to the laboratory I3, in large part through the research theme « Uses, participation, democratisation of innovation ».
PREFERRED SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE
The hired person's research will be oriented towards the digital world and associated social activities. She or he will conduct empirical research on the social construction of digital tools, or on the changes brought by these tools in various aspects of social life (culture, sociality, collective action, work, organisations, education, justice, public policies, inequalities, knowledge, etc.)
Applicants are required to have a confirmed experience in one or several empirical sociological methods, such as socio-computational approaches, networks analysis, digital humanities, qualitative field research with interviews, observations, online ethnography, etc.
The hired person will take a significant part in the teaching activities of the Economics and Social Sciences (SES) department, particularly in collective teaching of first-year engineering students (Technologies & Societies course, Thematic Collaborative Learning Projects), and in courses on ethical and social aspects of artificial intelligence, in Masters programs and in executive education programs.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Applicants should participate in the design and implementation of courses in their scientific field.
2. They should conduct research.
3. They should participate in the development of partnerships, collaborations, and contractual agreements in their scientific field.
In collaboration with the other faculty members of the department:
- Provide courses consistent with areas of knowledge, skills-set, and departmental needs;
- Teach labs and tutorials for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Serve on juries for prospective students who are applying for engineering courses, specialized masters, etc.;
- Contribute to the analysis of training needs;
- Design and organize teaching activities for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Design and implement project-based teaching;
- Supervise student projects;
- Develop courses and teaching tools in the above-mentioned field.
- Engage in research activities in the scientific field concerned;
- Write proposals and participate in projects with partners from the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, the Institut Mines-Télécom or other institutions from the academic and/or corporate world, in particular in the framework of fundamental, national, or European projects;
- Carry out industrial research contracts;
- Explore and develop partnerships within the industry and establish contractual agreements.
- Participate in and contribute to the scientific activities of the Group (seminars, presentations, juries, etc.).
Fostering the recognition of Telecom Paris and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris:
- Disseminate research findings via scholarly writing and publication;
- Lead presentations and seminars;
- Take an active role in scholarly and professional organizations;
- Maintain close relations with academic institutions, research centers, and companies.
- Participate in the scientific, pedagogical, and management activities of the department and/or institution;
- Where appropriate, direct and manage the staff placed under his or her responsibility or supervision;
- Report on the activities and results of the tasks for which he or she is responsible.
Required skills, experience, and knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge in the field of expertise.
- An excellent command of spoken and written English.
- If the candidate does not speak French, at the moment of hire he or she must commit to obtaining a professional proficiency of French as quickly as possible while under contract.
Preferred skills, experience, and knowledge:
- Post-doctoral or international experience in an academic or industrial laboratory is appreciated;
- Teaching experience.
Other abilities and skills:
- The ability to be an active team member in a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment;
- Strong teaching, pedagogical, and mentoring capabilities;
- Superb written and interpersonal communication skills.
Candidates with one or more of the following required qualifications may apply:
- Doctorate or equivalent;
- Civil servant recruited through the École Polytechnique or ENA or former student of the École Normale Supérieure and ≥ 3 years of professional experience;
- Holds a post-graduate degree from an engineering, business, or management school and has ≥ 5 years of professional experience;
- Holds a post-graduate degree and has ≥ 5 years of professional experience;
- Is a high-level business executive with ≥ 8 years of professional experience.
ACADEMIC RANK and CARRIER EVOLUTION
The proposed position is a permanent position. Depending on its experience, the successful candidate will obtain the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor title. The latter is given to the candidates having the French habilitation diploma, HDR (Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches) or an equivalent international academic experience. To obtain the Full Professor title, one of the conditions is to take the HDR.
Applicants should submit a single PDF file that includes:
- cover letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- statements of research and teaching interests (4 pages)
- three publications
- contact information for two references
For full consideration, applications should be received no later than September 24, 2021.
Contact : email@example.com