Télécom Paris, a founding member of Institut Polytechnique de Paris and a part of IMT (Institut Mines-Télécom), is ranked as one of the top 5 engineering schools in France. Recognized for its invaluable corporate connections, Telecom Paris is an institution with a strong sense of community and international representation. This public higher-education establishment guarantees excellent employability in all sectors and is the leading engineering school for the entire digital spectrum (from hardware to software technology).
With its high-level instruction and innovative pedagogy, Télécom Paris is at the heart of a unique innovation ecosystem which is based on collaborative classroom engagement, an emphasis on project-based training, and multidisciplinary research. Our scientific faculty are affiliated with two key research laboratories; first, the LTCI laboratory, which is recognized by the HCERES as a leading facility in the field of digital sciences and has a remarkable international outreach. And second, the i3 laboratory, Interdisciplinary Institute of Innovation (I3 - UMR 9217 of the CNRS), which carries out multidisciplinary research focused on innovation and in collaboration with the École Polytechnique and Mines ParisTech.
Based in Palaiseau, France at the heart of the Institut Polytechnique campus alongside the École Polytechnique, ENSTA, Télécom Sud Paris and ENSAE, Télécom Paris also has a central-Paris incubator at the epicenter of the French start-up ecosystem.
Télécom Paris is a living laboratory for all the major technological and societal challenges including artificial intelligence, quantum computing, IoT, cybersecurity, large-scale digital equipment (Cloud Computing), 5G/6G, and Green IT.
Telecom Paris is recruiting an assistant professor in Digital Economics. The successful candidate will join the Economics group in the Department of Economics and Social Sciences and contribute to teaching and research activities in the team's main specialty, digital economics.
PREFERRED SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE
We are looking for a young economist, conducting research in empirical or theoretical industrial economics (or closely related fields) applied to digital economics. Additional skills in competition and regulatory economics would be appreciated. The candidate will have the potential to publish in top international scientific journals in economics or management (top-5 journals and top-field journals in industrial economics or management, such as the RAND Journal of Economics, the Journal of Industrial Economics, Management Science, Marketing Science, etc.).
1. Applicants should participate in the design and implementation of courses in industrial organization and digital economics.
2. They should conduct research in digital economics.
3. They should participate in the development of partnerships, collaborations, and contractual agreements in their scientific field.
In collaboration with the other faculty members of the department:
- Provide courses consistent with areas of knowledge, skills-set, and departmental needs;
- Teach labs and tutorials for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Design and organize teaching activities for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Design and implement project-based teaching;
- Supervise student projects;
- Develop courses and teaching tools in the above-mentioned field.
- Engage in research activities in empirical or theoretical digital economics;
- Publishes in leading scientific journals in economics or management and participates in leading conferences;
- Participate in projects with partners from the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, the Institut Mines-Télécom or other institutions from the academic and/or corporate world, in particular in the framework of fundamental, national, or European projects.
- Participate in and contribute to the scientific activities of the Group (seminars, presentations, juries, etc.).
Fostering the recognition of Telecom Paris and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris:
- Disseminate research findings via scholarly writing and publication;
- Lead presentations and seminars;
- Take an active role in scholarly and professional organizations;
- Maintain close relations with academic institutions, research centers, and companies.
- Participate in the scientific, pedagogical, and management activities of the department and/or institution;
- Report on the activities and results of the tasks for which they are responsible.
Required skills, experience, and knowledge:
- PhD in empirical or theoretical industrial organization or closely related fields (microeconomics, public economics, etc.);
- Experience of academic environments;
- Knowledge of digital economics;
- An excellent command of spoken and written English;
- If the candidate is does not speak French, from the moment they are hired they must commit to reaching a professional proficiency of French as quickly as possible while under contract.
Preferred skills, experience, and knowledge:
- Post-doctoral experience in an academic laboratory is appreciated;
- International experience;
- Teaching experience.
Other abilities and skills:
- The ability to be an active team member in a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment;
- Strong teaching, pedagogical, and mentoring capabilities;
Superb written and interpersonal communication skills.
Candidates with one or more of the following required qualifications may apply:
- Doctorate or equivalent;
- Civil servant recruited through the École Polytechnique or ENA or former student of the École Normale Supérieure and ≥ 3 years of professional experience;
- Holds a post-graduate degree from an engineering, business, or management school and has ≥ 5 years of professional experience;
- Holds a post-graduate degree and has ≥ 5 years of professional experience;
- Is a high-level business executive with ≥ 8 years of professional experience.
DESIGNATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT
The person recruited will obtain the title of Associate Professor. He/she will be encouraged to obtain, as soon as possible, his/her HDR (habilitation to direct research). The HDR is one of the prerequisites to apply for promotion to Professor.
To apply, please attach the following documents
- cover letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- description of past research activities, that shall include a list of the most significant publications (4 pages maximum),
- description of past teaching activities (3 pages maximum)
- the PDF file of the job market paper
- research and teaching project: statement about future plans and objectives, in research and teaching (3 pages maximum)
- contact information for two references, qualified to provide an informed assessment about the candidate.
Location: Télécom Paris, 19 Place Marguerite Perey, 91120 Palaiseau, FranceApplication deadline: February 15, 2023.
The selection process consists of 4 steps:
- Elimination of applications that do not have the required qualifications
- Exchange with the host team to establish a list of shortlisted candidates
- Preliminary interview with Human Resources
- Hearing by the recruitment committee and ranking of the selected candidates
- Final interview with the Director of Télécom Paris