Associate Professor in Language, Knowledge & AI at Télécom Paris - CDI
Télécom Paris, a school of the IMT (Institut Mines-Télécom) and a founding member of the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, is one of the top 5 French general engineering schools. An institution on a "human scale" but with a strong international component, Télécom Paris is recognized for its proximity to companies. This public school guarantees excellent employability in all sectors and is the leading engineering school for the entire digital vertical (from hardware layers to uses).
With its excellent teaching and innovative pedagogy, Télécom Paris is at the heart of a unique innovation ecosystem, based on interaction and the importance of project mode in its training on the one hand, and its interdisciplinary research on the other. Its teacher-researchers are affiliated with two research laboratories: on the one hand, the LTCI laboratory, which is presented by the HCERES as a flagship unit in the field of digital sciences with remarkable international influence; and on the other hand, the i3 laboratory, Interdisciplinary Institute of Innovation (I3 - UMR 9217 of the CNRS), which pursues a multidisciplinary research program focused on innovation in the framework of a collaboration with the École Polytechnique and Mines ParisTech
Based in Palaiseau, at the heart of the Institut Polytechnique campus alongside the École Polytechnique, ENSTA, Télécom Sud Paris and ENSAE, Télécom Paris also has an incubator based in Paris at the heart of the French start-up ecosystem.
Télécom Paris is positioned as an open-air laboratory for all the major technological and societal challenges: artificial intelligence, quantum computing, IOT, cybersecurity, large-scale digital equipment (Cloud), 5G/6G, Green IT.
Télécom Paris, together with its partners of Institut Polytechnique de Paris, aims at playing a key role in the field of Al. In particular, the ability to explain the decisions of AI is a major challenge for society.
The candidate will contribute to the accomplishment of Télécom Paris on this topic, extending its education offer and participating in the research activity. She or he also has the possibility to contribute to the scientific reputation of the school at the international level: publications at the best venues, collaborative projects, industrial partnerships, publication of patents and software.
The candidate will join the DIG team, as well as the LTCI laboratory. She or he may contribute to the activities of Hi! Paris, the inter-disciplinary center on AI of Institut Polytechnique de Paris.
DESIRED SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE
The candidate is expected to have deep knowledge, theoretical or practical, in one of the following fields:
• Natural Language Processing
• Knowledge representation
• Logic, reasoning
• Online learning
• Data exploration
• Cognitive modeling
MAIN MISSIONS OF THE POSITION
1. Applicants should participate in the design and implementation of teaching courses in their scientific field.
2. They should conduct research.
3. They should participate in the development of partnerships, collaborations, and contractual agreements in their scientific field.
In collaboration with the other faculty members of the department:
- Provide courses consistent with areas of knowledge, skills-set, and departmental needs;
- Teach labs and tutorials for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Serve on juries for prospective students who are applying for engineering courses, specialized masters, etc.;
- Contribute to the analysis of training needs;
- Design and organize teaching activities for undergraduate and graduate students;
- Design and implement project-based teaching;
- Supervise student projects;
- Develop courses and teaching tools in the above-mentioned fields.
- Engage in research activities in the scientific field;
- Write research proposals and participate in projects with partners from the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, the Institut Mines-Télécom or other institutions from the academic and/or corporate world, in particular in the framework of fundamental, national, or European projects;
- Carry out industrial research contracts;
- Explore and develop partnerships within the industry and establish contractual agreements.
- Participate in and contribute to the scientific activities of the Group (seminars, presentations, juries, etc.).
Fostering the recognition of Institut Mines-Télécom and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris:
- Disseminate research findings via scholarly writing and publication;
- Lead presentations and seminars;
- Take an active role in scholarly and professional organizations;
- Maintain close relations with academic institutions, research centers, and companies.
- Participate in the scientific, pedagogical, and management activities of the department and/or institution;
- Where appropriate, direct and manage the staff placed under his or her responsibility or supervision;
- Report on the activities and results of the tasks for which he or she is responsible.
Required skills, experience, and knowledge:
- In-depth theoretical or applied knowledge in his or her field of expertise;
- An excellent command of spoken and written English.
- If the candidate is does not speak French, at the moment of hire he or she must commit to obtaining a professional proficiency of French as quickly as possible while under contract.
Preferred skills, experience, and knowledge:
- Post-doctoral or international experience in an academic or industrial laboratory is appreciated;
- Teaching experience.
Other abilities and skills:
- The ability to be an active team member in a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment;
- Strong teaching, pedagogical, and mentoring capabilities;
- Superb written and interpersonal communication skills.
LEVEL OF TRAINING / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
The application consists of:
• a detailed cv
• a letter of motivation
• a description of your past activity in research and teaching, including the list of your publications (5 pages maximum)
• a description of your project in research and teaching (3 pages maximum)
• a opy of the 3 main publications
• references (2 persons: names and mails)
• link to your publications (website or google scholar for instance)
Application deadline: September 9, 2022
If you want more informations:
- Scientific contact: Thomas BONALD (email@example.com)
- Administrative contact: Marion TALDIR (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All our positions are open to people with disabilities