Télécom Paris, a school of the IMT (Institut Mines-Télécom) and a founding member of the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, is one of the top 5 French general engineering schools. An institution on a "human scale" but with a strong international component, Télécom Paris is recognized for its proximity to companies. This public school guarantees excellent employability in all sectors and is the leading engineering school for the entire digital vertical (from hardware layers to uses).
With its excellent teaching and innovative pedagogy, Télécom Paris is at the heart of a unique innovation ecosystem, based on interaction and the importance of project mode in its training on the one hand, and its interdisciplinary research on the other. Its teacher-researchers are affiliated with two research laboratories: on the one hand, the LTCI laboratory, which is presented by the HCERES as a flagship unit in the field of digital sciences with remarkable international influence; and on the other hand, the i3 laboratory, Interdisciplinary Institute of Innovation (I3 - UMR 9217 of the CNRS), which pursues a multidisciplinary research program focused on innovation in the framework of a collaboration with the École Polytechnique and Mines ParisTech
Based in Palaiseau, at the heart of the Institut Polytechnique campus alongside the École Polytechnique, ENSTA, Télécom Sud Paris and ENSAE, Télécom Paris also has an incubator based in Paris at the heart of the French start-up ecosystem.
Télécom Paris is positioned as an open-air laboratory for all the major technological and societal challenges: artificial intelligence, quantum computing, IOT, cybersecurity, large-scale digital equipment (Cloud), 5G/6G, Green IT.
Télécom Paris invites applicants for a faculty position in the Optical Telecommunications Group (GTO), department of Communications and Electronics. The position (“Maître de Conférences”) corresponds to a tenured Assistant or Associate Professor.
GTO’s research topics include ultra-high-bit-rate transmissions, optical network architectures, advanced lasers for communications, integrated photonics and distributed fiber-optics sensors. The group recently launched a new research axis on quantum communications, leveraging our experimental high-bit-rate platform. We already participate in European projects on continuous-variable quantum communications, and wish to reinforce and broaden our activities in quantum technologies.
We are looking for a pluridisciplinary profile on optical communications and quantum photonic technologies applied to information communication and processing. Special attention will be paid to applications oriented towards pluridisciplinary research in the domain of optical telecommunications, including digital signal processing, and more specifically quantum communications and quantum photonic technologies applied to information communication and processing.
Applicants showing a strong interest for experimental demonstrations and laboratory work will be prioritized. Applicants’ innovativeness, originality and potential will be strongly appreciated.
DESIRED SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE
In-depth theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of quantum communications and information processing in connection with one of the following areas
- Optical device physics and quantum functions
- Optical transmission systems
- Digital signal processing for optical and quantum communications
- Quantum-based security of optical networks
MAIN MISSIONS OF THE POSITION
1. Participate in the design and implementation of courses in its scientific field
2. Conducting research in his/her scientific field
3. Participate in the development of partnerships, collaborations and contractual relations in his/her scientific field.
Teaching: in coordination with the other teacher-researchers in his/her group,
- Ensures a set of teaching activities in his/her field in initial and continuing education;
- Participates in interview panels for the selection of candidates (engineering cycle, specialized masters, etc.);
- Participates in the analysis of training needs;
- Participates in the design and organization of teaching activities in initial and continuing education;
- Participates in the design and implementation of project-based teaching;
- Ensures the supervision of student projects;
- Designs courses, produces corresponding materials (including digital resources) and develops pedagogical tools for teaching in the above-mentioned field;
- Participates in training workshops for teachers.
- Develops a research activity in the scientific field concerned
- Participates in projects involving partners from the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, the Institut Mines-Télécom or outside, from the academic or business worlds, in particular within the framework of structuring projects or national or European projects;
- Carries out industrial research contracts;
- Seeks and develops relationships with industry and with international academic partners.
- Participates in and contributes to the scientific animation of the Group that hosts him/her (seminars, defenses, juries).
Participation in the reputation of Institut Mines-Télécom and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris:
- Publishes the results of his/her research work;
- Realizes presentations and conferences;
- Involved in learned or professional societies;
- Maintains close relations with academic institutions, research centers and companies.
- Participates in the scientific, pedagogical, and management leadership of the Department or School;
- If necessary, directs and manages the agents placed under his/her responsibility or supervision;
- Reports on the activities and results of the missions for which he/she is responsible.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- In-depth knowledge, theoretical or applied, in his/her field
- Fluency in English.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Post-doctoral or international experience in an academic or industrial laboratory appreciated ;
- Teaching experience.
Abilities and skills:
- Ability to work in a team, interpersonal skills;
- Pedagogical skills;
- Ability to write and summarize.
LEVEL OF TRAINING / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Doctorate or equivalent;
- Civil servant belonging to a body recruited through the École Polytechnique or ENA or former student of the École Normale Supérieure with professional experience ≥ 3 years ;
- Diploma from a School of Engineering or Business and Management or equivalent with professional experience ≥ 5 years ;
- Bac + 5 degree or equivalent with professional experience ≥ 5 years ;
- Very high level company executive with professional experience ≥ 8 years.
HOW TO APPLY
The application file includes the following documents, please attach them in the field entitled "CV"
- a detailed CV
- a letter of motivation
- a description of past research work, including the list of the 10 best publications (4 pages max.)
- a description of teaching experience at university level or in continuing education (3 pages max.)
- a copy of the top 3 publications
- a statement of research and teaching objectives (max. 3 pages)
- the names and e-mail addresses of two qualified personalities who can give an informed opinion on the application,
Application deadline: May 25, 2022
Contact: Yves Jaouen (firstname.lastname@example.org)